Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Ripples in Ecuador

 It is very easy for me to feel that my life is not having a big impact. I live a pretty small life really. I especially often feel sad that I did not have the chance to get to know my nieces and nephews in Ecuador very well. It is strange how comforting it has been to me to find that I have left a few ripples in Ecuador no matter how small they may be. For example, Dome grew up eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I remember preparing them for our kids and Karina trying it for the first time. I never would have expected her to adopt them. I was feeling so inferior. Also Dome loves Harry Potter. Who introduced that to her? Cristhian after he stayed with us and caught our love for it like a virus 😂. Dome knows all about dr Seuss because I brought her books as a little girl and who knows, maybe that is part of why she loves to read. Maybe I’m giving myself too much credit here, but the idea that maybe all those people who seemed to dislike me so much actually adopted one or two small customs from me makes me feel very happy. Maybe all the judgment I felt was not really what they were thinking at all :) maybe to my dear nieces and nephews I did make a small difference. I wanted to be part of their lives and I feel so sad that we weren’t much, but maybe we were in small ways and that makes me happy.

No comments: